Sign-in - Register - Contact

Free SVG files for Cricut and SCAL

By stephane • News • Friday 18/12/2009 • 6 comments

While reading ScrapBooking forums and blogs, I came accross the Cricut paper cutting machine. It seems that the Cricut can cut shapes from SVG files, that can be loaded to the Cricut, with a software called Sure Cuts A Lot (or SCAL for short). All of the coloring pages on ScrapColoring are actually drawn in SVG, using Inkscape. I was wondering if they would be suitable for cutting with a Cricut. Or if I could easily change them to make them usable on a Cricut.

If you own a Cricut, could you tell me if the following SVG files I have drawn work on your Cricut ? Your help and comments would be very much appreciated! Unfortunately I do not own a Cricut myself (yet), and thus I cannot test them.

Thank you!

Those SVG files are published under the Creative Commons CC-BY-NC-SA licence (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-Alike). Please tell me if you use them! If you do use them to cut paper in a Cricut machine, I would love to see the results! (it's possible to attach a scan or picture to a comment to this post)

Do the files need to contain just one shape outline ? Can shapes overlap or be inside one another ? Any help, pointers and advice gladly welcomed! :-)

Share this coloring page with your friends!

Comments

SVGs for Cricut by Kay on Thursday 14/01/2010 at 23:48

Stephane,
I enjoy your very unique site and am excited by what you are doing with SVGs. Thank you for making this resource available for us.
I have looked at these Cricut SVGs in Inkscape and in SCAL2 and I have some input for you. All of the files except the giraffe will work with a Cricut. The Cricut with SCAL (or the new program MTC) will only cut closed paths, not lines. That is why the giraffe file will not work. The Happy Holidays file will have to be cut large so that the fine details in the letters will cut properly.
To answer your other question, you can have as many paths as you want in a cuttable SVG. They can not overlap, but one can be inside the other (like a donut hole).  It is also good to optimize the file by removing any nodes that are unnecessary as these slow down the Cricut. If you want some excellent examples of well designed SVGs for the Cricut I recommend you take a look at svgcuts.com.
Please feel free to email me if you have other questions and thanks again.
-Kay

Re: SVGs for Cricut by stephane on Friday 15/01/2010 at 10:19

Hi Kay,

Thanks a lot for your detailed feedback, this is very useful! I was a bit hesitant to release other SVG files as I wasn't sure if they could actually work with the Cricut machine. With your input, that's now much easier. :-)

I like your Valentine's Day patterns, I need to create some too quickly, Feb 14th is less than a month away now.

Thank you!

Stephane

SVGs for Cricut by Lynne on Monday 18/01/2010 at 17:38

Kay has answered the question perfectly.

All of the files will work with the exception of the giraffes.

Both snowflake images look similar, and the line thickness will not change how the Cricut will cut the image.

The Sure Cuts A Lot software allows you to change the size of the mage within the program, so the size of the image doesn't matter.

Scrap Coloring is an awesome site, and can be extermely useful for anyone who owns a Cricut and the SCAL software.

Thanks for an excellent resource!

- Lynne

Other die-cutter machines! by Juninha on Sunday 07/02/2010 at 14:18

There are many many other die cutter machines out there. I own the silhouette and I can cut your designs. (I can basically cut anything that I can see on my monitor ). I was actually wondering if that was ok with you. I make cards, but only to give to friends and family. I don't sell them. Is that ok if I use your work in my cards?

I love your drawings, but I only want to use them for my cards if I know that I am not stealing them from you.

Thank You!

Re: Other die-cutter machines! by stephane on Sunday 07/02/2010 at 17:44

Hi Juninha,

It's perfectly fine to use those drawings to make cards for your friends and family. I'd love to see what they look like. Would you have a picture of them?

Thanks!

by Juninha on Sunday 07/02/2010 at 14:22

PS:  I am making a Valentine's card and I will take pictures and I can show it to you. I don't know for the people that use the SCAL, but for my use you don't have to worry about size or number of lines. I can edit the picture size or # of lines in my end before I cut the shapes. The drawings you have are just fine the way they are. I didn't have to change anything (other than size to fit the particular card  I was making)..

Again... THANK YOU!